ABOUT ME & my art
i am THE NORTHERN LOON.
i am a visual artist. a descriptive poet. a community builder.
• i am from the NORTHERN lower peninsula of michigan, where the woods meet the water & where LOONs glide across the lakes. loons are a magical, mystical, serene, & focused diver bird known for the sounds they produce. their calls are eerie, dreamy, & emotional - inspiring listeners to stop in their tracks & get lost in their imagination momentarily. in fostering this moment of pause & clarity, loons symbolize creativity, connection to multiple levels of consciousness, & mindfulness. i seek to emulate the loon's effect on its surroundings in my artwork - creating artwork that is entrancing enough to inspire its viewers to connect to their imagination & recognize the beauty surrounding them in the present moment. haven't heard a loon? listen here:
i create & do all types of things:
• i capture material place & ideational space through layering bold colors, stark lines, & (un)realistic
forms into enticing & entrancing cityscapes. i am inspired by northern nature, namely the reticulation & abstraction of the
petoskey stone - an ancient fossil found on speckled sandy shores. i use acrylic, watercolor + ink, pastels & collage.
• i revel in the calm of embroidering feel-good fabric pieces for your walls.
• i find peace & healing in creating and sharing affirmation cards foster re-learning self-love, & -acceptance.
• i gain energy by uniting diverse individuals & populations to collaborate, communicate, and create together.
• i spread ideas of shared humanity & universal belonging with murals & street art in public spaces.
i do all of this for a few reasons:
• i am a compulsive creator: i get captivated by city-views, by architecture, by nature & love to capture & share them.
• i believe in seeking out & creating beauty: in the mundane day-to-day & the special once-in-a-lifetime moments.
• i am riddled by anxiety sometimes: painting & putting strings of words together soothes my nerves.
• i live to help others be: creative, in touch with emotions, & connected to their glocal communities (local & global).
i am chicago-based, with experience creating in northern michigan, bulgaria, the netherlands, spain, & in-between.
i create whenever & wherever & however i can.
my process involves a lot of layering. little by little. color. color. color. line. line. line. color. color. line.
• sometimes i am organized -
taking on a project strategically & plan out the form, line, color & overall feel. i go piece-by-piece til it's complete.
• most of the time i sit down & 'let it be it' -
allowing my mind & heart & hand to connect the material reality with the ideational reality. i recognize the primacy of the material & the dialectically-constitutional relationship between physical & emotional; material & ideational.
CLICK THE PHOTOS BELOW FOR MORE INFO ABOUT SOME OF THE CREATIVE PROJECTS & ROLES I TAKE ON